Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 13 - A Musical Artist Who Gets Me Through The Day

It's not any one particular artist presently. I am partial to uplifting songs. What I love best is listening to music repeatedly with my headphones on. I was born with a hearing loss. It's not profound, yet it's who I am. I can't hear everything, and I don't even want to wear my two hearing aids all the time. (chuckle) So I listen and listen, then I know the words and want to hear them over and over. I could rattle off music that gives me negative connotations of exes. I'm consciously creating new memories these days, and actively telling myself this.

I adore the upbeat music of Micheal Franti. I still love Hope and Keepin' It Real by Shaggy. (I used to listen to that every single morning when I first came back to Minnesota after living in Key West for two years and being traumatized and I had a newborn. I'm drawn to songs like Sand In My Toes by Dido. It makes me think of how I used to be a midwesterner that loved going on vacation. After living in the tropics, I truly know my soul is drawn to the ocean.

I think the theme these days is either silence (at home...I have yet to set up my little stereo and my new laptop's sound system is grossly inadequate) or party/wake up music. i attribute this to living in south beach. I'm not at all admitting I was a party girl on the beach. Well, perhaps for about two or three nights. Okay, more than that over the span of the two years I had a little studio apartment seven blocks from the ocean. My daughter and I lived there. I had run away again. And landed in a not-so-good situation that turned good. I had a rewarding job for two weeks shy of two years. I took a lot of shit there from bad management yet loved the knowledge and friends I gained.

It seems like the theme of my life since I got away from my abusive ex-husband is trying to wake up enough to live. I have gained weight, travelled back to Florida many times because I love living there, worked on my healing, raised my daughter, and avoided many, many things. The party music wakes me up. And it's amusing that my daughter loves the songs too. We used to be much more in our cars. Now we live in the sticks. When I am home, I am still and noise is minimal. Out on the road, I bring the beats to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment