Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 2: Something I Love About Myself

This makes me think about how Louise Hay tells you to look at the mirror and smile at yourself constantly and say "I Love You" when you are beginning the work of loving yourself again.

The thing I love about myself is that I'm fearless when it comes to travel. Fearless or an optimist. In earlier years of being a single mom/recovering from being abused by my ex-husband/my daughter's father, I used to say it was easy as pie for me to go travel in a foreign country where I might not speak the language and I never needed a plan. I would just get a whim to go up to Northern Ireland because they had a cease fire when I was there in February of 1996. So I took the train to Dublin and hung about the train/bus station until my bus left. And then I located a youth hostel once in Belfast and met the most amazing people. All without a plan. Travel is freeing. Those around me see me as fearless and courageous and all that good stuff for going to 20 countries. I just see it as having been adventurous and blessed with all the opportunities I've had and made for myself. Incredibly blessed! I used to say it was easier to go travel in a foreign country than to navigate my newly sucky life (or still sucky!) with a baby, being divorced, not mentally being able to work yet and not knowing how to let go of this man I had loved but treated me terribly. It is hard work to make a life, or to remake it.

So today I love that I can find adventures with my daughter. That I can share moments of courageous fearlessness in the life I am now living. And, yes, just as life is getting better every day, I trust I will travel again, and even take my daughter travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment